About PS/IS 78Q PTA
The PS/IS 78Q Parent Teachers Association, founded in June of 2008, is a registered 501(c)3 not for profit organization established to help support the PS/IS 78 Robert F. Wagner Jr. public school located in Long Island City, Queens. Every parent or primary caregiver of a child who attends PS/IS 78Q is a member of the PTA.
We remain committed to enriching the learning experiences of our children. This year, not only do we want to continue funding the efforts we have supported in the past, our goal is to also seek out and provide new opportunities for our children.
Mission Statement: To provide support and resources to the school for the benefit and educational growth of the children and to promote and help develop a cooperative working relationship between the parents and staff of our school.
PS78 PTA Membership
What is the PTA? The main purpose of the Parent Teacher Association is to support the school and, therefore, benefit your child. As a parent, guardian or person in parental relation to a child in the school, you are a member of the PTA.
But there are many more PTA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Discover Great Resources. The PTA offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students.
- Tap into a Network. The PTA functions and events are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and discuss issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences.
- Watch Yourself Grow. By volunteering with your PTA, you put your skills and hobbies to use for a noble cause—your child and all children in the community.
- Speak Up. The PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school.
- Witness Improvement. By getting involved at your child’s school you’ll be part of the solution, helping make positive changes. Local PTA's play an important role in fundraising to provide building improvements, curriculum-based programs, and social events.
- Be a Role Model. By becoming involved with the PTA, you’ll be demonstrating to your child the importance you place on education.
School Leadership Team (SLT)
The PS/IS 78Q School Leadership Team (SLT) is comprised of administrators, teachers, and elected parents who meet monthly and work collaboratively on the school’s budget and the Comprehensive Educational Plan (CEP), which includes the school’s goals and objectives. It also provides a forum where issues specific to the PS/IS 78Q community can be addressed.
All SLT's must have an equal number of parents and staff. The Principal, the PTA President and a UFT representative (or their designees) are automatically on the team.
The SLT encourages involvement from members of the school community, and welcomes attendance at its meetings. Questions or comments for the SLT may be emailed to Courtney Jimenez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015-2016 SLT Members:
- Louis Pavone (Principal)
- Courtney Jimenez (PTA Co-President)
- Carmen Gibson (UFT Rep)
- Gabriela Hernandez
- Lakshmi Reddy
- Roger Hart
- Rey Fernandez
- Gerry Giantusos
- Rob Brusca
- Victoria Mulligan (UFT Rep)